Let’s give the floor to Nadezhda: "These caramelized nuts can be eaten just like that, or added to the cakes and desserts as an interlayer, or used as a decoration piece.
The basic rule that I follow is that there should be 2 times less sugar than the nuts. So, your nuts will be perfectly covered with caramel and crunch on your teeth, without causing discomfort.
From the ingredients below, I cook 2 layers for a whole nuts cake. You can also grind the ready-made nuts as you wish, even to the praline state.
I love caramelized hazelnuts, but you can use any other nuts or mixtures at your discretion."
You will need:
- hazelnuts - 250 g | 8.80 oz
- sugar - 125 g | 4.40 oz
- Melt the sugar in a frying pan with a thick bottom. Don't burn it!
- Pre-wash the nuts and dry them for about 5 minutes in the microwave.
- Pour the hot nuts into the melted sugar, and keep everything on the heat for a little more, stirring evenly with a spatula. When you add the nuts, the temperature of the caramel drops; some caramel threads should appear. You have to wait until they disappear and you will see that your nuts are well and evenly covered with the caramel.
- Place the nuts on a silicone or a teflon mat.
- Handle the nuts carefully, they are very hot! For convenience, arm yourself with two spoons at once, so that you don't even have a thought to peel off the stuck nuts with your hands!
- For the even spreading, you better cover the nuts with another rug on top, and then press them down with a palm.
That’s it! When the nuts are completely cooled, they can be crushed into pieces.