Author: This is the very first carrot cake I've ever baked. I loved it immediately! Can you imagine what it's like to hit the bull's-eye right off the bat? I didn't realize it at the time, of course - I had a long way to go of carrot cakes to be finally convinced - it was love from the first bite!
- Bake walnuts in the oven at 320F | 160C for about 15 minutes, they should give off the flavor. Take them out and combine with butter and salt. Let cool, then chop the nuts coarsely.
- Peel and grate carrots on a fine grater.
- Mix and sift flour, baking powder, and spices.
- Separately combine eggs, sugar, and butter, mix well.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, then add the carrots and nuts.
- Pour the batter into two 18 cm | 7 inches molds and bake in a preheated to 356F | 180C oven for about 30-35 minutes. Check if it is ready with a toothpick.
- Combine the cherries with sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring from time to time. Reduce the heat and add the cinnamon.
- Dissolve the corn starch in water and add the cherries in a trickle, continuing to stir. Cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes more.
- Remove from the stove, pour into a bowl, cover with cling film, and cool.
- Combine the cold ingredients and whisk on medium speed for approx 1 minute. Gradually increase the speed to maximum and whip for 3-5 minutes more until the mass thickens.
- Assemble the cake as follows: cake layer - frosting - frosting dam + cherry filling in the middle - cake layer - frosting - cake layer - frosting - frosting dam + cherry filling in the middle - cake layer.
- Cover with any kind of icing. The author used buttercream.