butter or margarine
- Combine egg yolks with sugar, then add sour cream.
- Mix 300 g |10 oz of flour with baking powder, add cold butter (margarine) in cubes, chop it into small pieces with a knife straight in the flour. Stir in the yolks and sour cream. Add the rest of the flour gradually (you may need more or less than stated in the recipe).
- Knead into a soft dough. It should not stick to your hands. Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and leave it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Grind the nuts in a blender and combine with the poppy seeds.
- Add 2/3 of the whites, mix gently.
- Defrost the cherries, drain the liquid and mix with the remaining whites.
- Roll out one piece of dough into a 20x26 cm | 7.8.x10 inches layer, spread out half of the poppy seed filling on top of it, leaving 1 cm | 0.4 inches from the edges.
- Cover with another layer of rolled dough, pinching the edges. Top with a fork.
- You can bake on a baking tray or in a mold. Bake at 356|180C for 20-25 minutes.
- Repeat with the other half of the poppy seed filling and the cherry filling. As a result, you will get 3 cakes with filling. Leave them to cool.
- Mix egg yolks, sugar, flour, starch, and milk. Bring to a boil over low heat and cook until it thickens, stirring constantly.
- Cover the ready custard with cling film and cool completely.
- Then add the condensed milk and soft butter.
- Beat with a mixer, spread over the cake, and leave it in the fridge overnight.