heavy sour cream
butter (at room temperature)
The calculation in the recipe is for an 18cm (7.09 inch) cake.
- Combine the butter, honey, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Put on a medium heat, and bring to 104-122 (40-50C).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. In the resulting mass, add lightly whisked eggs and cocoa. Put the mixture in a water bath, and add the baking soda. The mass will brighten, and foam will appear.
- Add the flour, and knead the dough. Refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes, then divide into 10-11 equal portions.
- Roll out the dough on parchment. Bake the cake layers one by one on the baking sheet at 356F (180C) for 5-6 minutes. While each cake layer is still warm and soft, take a plate of the desired diameter, and cut out a circle.
- Mix the sugar, starch, egg and yolk in a saucepan. Pour the milk into a heavy bottomed saucepan and heat to 122F (50C).
- Add the sugar-egg mixture to the milk. Whisking constantly, wait for the mixture to thicken, and then remove the saucepan from the heat.
- When the mass cools, add the sour cream and butter, and mix until smooth.
- Whip the cold cream to stiff peaks. Gently fold it into the cream.
- It is more convenient to assemble the honey cake in a detachable ring.
- Put the first cake layer on the substrate, grease it with 100g (3.50 oz) of custard, then the second cake, etc.
- Refrigerate the cke for at least 12 hours.