We all are used to the idea that a cake is something very sweet. The cream, the filling, the biscuit - everything has its own sugar and honey shades, but what if you want to taste something new?
If you want to cook something unusual, then this cake is definitely for you! Loose dough, delicate creamy custard and some light cranberry sourness create a unique combination of flavors. You will just want to taste it again and again!
Let’s give the floor to Marina: "I spent lots of time making cakes to sell. So I got 100% convinced of the phrase "There’s no argue about the tastes". Everyone has its own, individual preferences. That’s why there is such a variety of different cakes. Some of them are highly popular; some other compositions are cooked just a couple of times per a year. This time I’d like to share a very special cake recipe. Not everyone will understand that taste, but it is still wonderful. This is a Napoleon-like cake, just as dry and nourishing, BUT for someone it is the most DELICIOUS one! If you are an omnivorous sweet tooth (like me), then you better try it! It is very easy to cook!"
- Mix the cranberries with sugar, and bring them to a boil, then cover and cool.
- Place the butter in the freezer for 30 minutes. Rub it with a coarse grater.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, add the butter, and chop the mass into crumbs with a knife. Pour in half the water, and chop the dough again with a knife. Finally, add the rest of the water.
- Gather the dough with your hands into a ball, and divide it into 8 equal pieces. Put them in a bag and place them in the freezer for half an hour.
- Roll out each piece of dough thinly, and cut the cakes 16-18 cm (6.3 to 7 inch) in diameter. Prick them with a fork and bake in the oven preheated to 200C (392F) until golden brown. Bake the scraps too. Cool everything down.
- Whisk the softened butter until fluffy. Gradually add the cream.
- Put the first cake into the ring-mold, and grease it with the custard. Next, another cake layer, the cranberry filling, the custard, and the cake again.
- Assemble the cake and refrigerate it overnight. Grind the scraps with a rolling pin and sprinkle the crumbles on the top and sides of the cake.