plain yoghurt / buttermilk
dried / candied fruits
- Whip the soft butter well with sugar (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add 1 egg, and whip well. Add the second egg, and whip again.
- Remove the zest from an orange (lemon), squeeze out the juice, and add everything to the butter-egg mixture. Whip.
- Then add slightly warm yoghurt (buttermilk) and whip again.
- Separately mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, vanilla), and add to the main mixture. Whip with a mixer at low speed or with a silicone spatula.
- At the end, add the candied fruits, and mix to spread it in the dough evenly.
- Pour the dough into the mold. It can be one large one or several small ones. When baking, the dough rises, so don't pour to the brim.
- Preheat the oven to 392F (200C), put the cake in, and reduce the temperature to 320F (160C). Bake until cooked, for 30-45 minutes (depending on the oven and the cakes size). In any case, after 30 minutes (it’s not worth it before, as the dough may fall off), you can open the oven, and check the readiness with a dry wooden stick.
- After cooling, remove the tea cake from the mold, sprinkle with powdered sugar or pour the icing over. Decorate as you like.