- Divide the eggs into whites and yolks.
- Bring the milk to a boil.
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar, cornstarch and vanilla; add cold milk, mix well.
- Beat the yolks and pour in the starch mixture.
- Next, pour the yolk mixture into the boiled milk, stir constantly until bubbles form. Cook for 20 more seconds.
- Shift the custard into a container for cooling, cover with film in contact.
Meringue cake layers
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt and vanilla, until foamy. Next, add the powdered sugar in portions, whisking constantly, continue to beat for another 5 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch and nuts. Mix.
- Transfer the dough to a pastry bag. Pipe 3 circles. Bake each cake layer separately in sliding rings.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 338F (170C). Do not leave the dough in the bag or bowl.
- Cakes need to cool completely in the rings.
Continue to make custard. Whip the butter. Add the ready-made custard base (already cooled) there a little bit, and knead with a mixer.
Cut the meringue layers out of the rings and assemble the cake.
- Pour sugar into a frying pan, pour water over it, wait for it to boil without stirring, then add ground roasted nuts.
- On full heat, with continuous stirring, let the water boil, and reduce the heat. Wait until the mass begins to change color, and each nut is in sugar.
Assemble the cake, following such an order: meringue layer, custard, crocant... Cover the cake with custard and decorate with the remains of walnut crocant.