This is the most airy coconut cake, which is exactly like the world famous Raffaello candies! The pastry chef has tried many sponge biscuit recipes, and changed the crème proportions dozens of times. And now, you can feel that amazing Raffaello taste, when you bite off a piece of cake.
It’s just a delight!
For the sponge biscuit:
- Eggs – 3 pcs | 3.00 items
- Sugar – 100 g | 3.55 oz
- Flour – 90 g | 3.15 oz
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp | 1.00 tsp
- Separate the whites from the yolks.
- Whip the egg whites with a half of the sugar amount until a steady rush. Whip the egg yolks with the second half of the sugar until pale yellow; the yolk mass should increase in volume.
- Combine the whites and the yolks masses. Stir them gently with a spatula from the top to the bottom.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder into the egg mass in two passes. Stir the mass gently with a spatula from the top to the bottom. You don't need to whip the mass for too long in order not to lose the sponge biscuit airiness!
- Bake the sponge biscuit in a 18 cm (7 inch) ring mold (wrapped in foil) at 170C (338F) for 50 minutes. Remove the mold from the oven to cool; place the biscuit in the fridge, pre-wrapped with the cling film.
For the coconut crème:
- Cream cheese – 370 g | 13.05 oz
- White chocolate – 200 g | 7.05 oz
- Coconut milk – 200 g | 7.05 oz
- Butter 82.5% - 150 g | 5.30 oz
- Combine the chocolate and the coconut milk in a bowl. Melt the mass in the microwave in 15 seconds pulses. Stir until smooth, and cool it down. Cover the crème base with foil in contact, and place it in the fridge for several hours.
- Whip the softened butter until whitening and increasing the volume. Add the cream cheese, and whip again until smooth. Add the chocolate mass, and whip once again. Place the crème in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
For the chocolate ganache:
- White chocolate – 100 g | 3.55 oz
- Cream 33% - 35 g | 1.25 oz
- Coconut milk – 40 g | 1.40 oz
- Coconut flakes – 20 g | 0.70 oz
- Mix the cream and the chocolate in a bowl, and heat for 10 seconds until the chocolate dissolves.
- Add the cold coconut milk, and mix. Cover it with foil in contact, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Then, take the mass out, and whip with a mixer, adding the coconut flakes at the end.
For the crispy layer:
- Toasted almonds – 80 g | 2.80 oz
- White chocolate – 35 g | 1.25 oz
- Cocoa butter – 35 g | 1.25 oz
- Coconut flakes – 25 g | 0.90 oz
Melt the cocoa butter in the microwave. Melt the chocolate separately. Connect these ingredients, and mix. Chop the nuts. Add all the other ingredients. Mix well.
Cut the sponge biscuit into 4 layers. Soak them with the following mixture: coconut milk + milk + Malibu liquor.
Leave 5 tablespoons of crème for coating.
You better assemble the cake in a ring mold, wrapped with the acetate film. Grease the plate with a small amount of crème, and place the first biscuit layer. Cover it with the crème. Cover it with the crunchy layer. Place the next biscuit layer, the crème, ganache, the next biscuit layer, the crème, crunchy layer, the final sponge biscuit layer, the crème. Decorate the cake with coconut flakes and some Raffaello sweets.