The calculation in the recipe is for three 9cm (3.55 inch) Easter cakes.
Soak the candied fruits the day before cooking.
- Mix the warm milk, yeast, sugar and flour.
- Cover the bowl with cling film, and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
The main dough
- Mix the activted leaven with the yolks, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and flour (you may need a little more or less flour, so don't add all at once).
- When the ingredients are combined, add the butter, and knead the dough with a mixer for 25-30 minutes until a gluten window forms.
- Grease a large bowl with odorless vegetable oil, and place the dough in it. Cover with a film on top.
- Put the bowl in a warm place for 2-3 hours. The dough should increase at least three times.
- Then knead it, and stir in the dried candied fruits.
- Spread the dough in paper molds for no more than 1/3.
- Cover with foil, and place in a warm place to proof. The dough should rise almost to the edges of the mold.
- Bake the Easter cakes in the oven at 338F (170C) for about 20 minutes. Cover them with foil if necessary.
- Cool the cakes by piercing the bottom with a wooden skewer upside down.
- Mix all the ingredients, and grease the cakes carefully.
- Sprinkle the top with almond flakes.