Chiffon sponge biscuit
It's important to follow the sequence of all steps.
- Mix 1 tbsp. of instant coffee and 50 g (1.75 oz) cocoa, add 180 ml (6.10 fl oz) of hot water and mix well until smooth. Let it cool.
- Sift 200 g (7.05 oz) of flour with 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/4 tsp salt in a large bowl, add 200 g (7.05 oz) of sugar and stir the dry ingredients well with a whisk.
- Whip 5 yolks in a mixer bowl with a whisk attachment, add 120 ml (4.10 fl oz) of vegetable oil. Add the cooled chocolate-coffee mixture, and whip until smooth.
- Add the dry mixture (with flour and sugar) to the chocolate mixture and mix well in a mixer until smooth.
- Whip 8 egg whites in a separate bowl, gradually adding 100 g (3.55 oz) of sugar. Whisk until stiff peaks.
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C (320 °F) Add the whipped egg whites in parts. Add 1/4 of the whites to the chocolate mass and mix with a spatula from bottom to top, keeping airiness. Gradually, in parts, add all the whites to the sponge dough
- I use 2 molds (20 cm in diameter and 8 cm in height), you can take a mold with a diameter of 24-28 cm. Line the bottom of the mold with baking paper, do not grease the walls, this is necessary for the sponge cake to cling to the walls and not to fall off. Pour the dough into the molds and bake at 160 °C (320 °F) for 45-60 minutes. Do not open the oven door, after 45 minutes check the readiness with a wooden toothpick, if it comes out dry, the sponge is ready. It takes me 40 minutes to bake the sponge cake in 2 forms
- Cool the bake sponge in the mold, then take out the sponge gently using the knife along the edge of the mold, let it cool completely on the wire rack. Then it is better to wrap the sponge in a plastic food wrap and let it stand for a couple of hours, you can leave it in the refrigerator overnight
- Then I cut each sponge cake into 3 cake layers, I got 6 cake layers in total.
- Rinse strawberries, dry, peel them off and cut into slices. Peel and chop the bananas.
- For the cream mix 450 g (15.85 oz) of cold cream cheese with 180 g (6.35 oz) of confectioners sugar in a mixer bowl with a whisk attachment for a few minutes at low speed, then pour in 500 ml (16.90 fl oz) of cold high-fat dairy cream and 1-2 tsp of vanilla extract and whisk into a fluffy mass, gradually increasing the speed of the mixer.
- Whisk cold cream cheese with soft butter, cocoa and powdered sugar. Then add 100 ml (3.40 fl oz) of dairy cream and whisk again. Put in a pastry bag and cover the sides of the cake with the cream, leveling with a pastry spatula. Decorate as desired.
- You can start assembling the cake. It is simple to assemble the cake: cake - cream - strawberry - just a little cream on top of strawberries (so that the next cake layer does not slide out) - cake - cream - banana - a little cream, etc.
- Wrap the assembled cake well with a plastic food wrap and put in the fridge overnight.