A snack cake is definitely a winning option for your dinner. It is a combination of a crunchy flaky cake layers and a nourishing but delicious filling. The combination of the delicate meat pieces and the juicy mushrooms will appeal to all the food lovers.
Explore full recipe
From the specified number of ingredients you will get 13 puff biscuits with a diameter of about 17-17.5 cm (6.7 inch). While baking, the cakes decently squeeze, so they need to be rolled out with a diameter of 3 cm (1.2 inch) larger than the final expected size.
For the dough:
- 600 g flour | 21.15 oz
- 400 g butter | 14.10 oz
- 1 egg (large)
- 1 tbsp vinegar 6% or 9%
- water about 250 ml | 8.50 fl oz
- a pinch of salt
All the ingredients should be very cold and the water should be ice cold. You can even pre-put the flour in the fridge, and the butter in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, chop the butter into cubes and add it to the flour. Stir quickly with a knife or a fork to make the flour and butter crumbs. The butter should not start melting, in order not to lose the magical airiness and layering of the final result.
- Break the egg into a measuring cup, whisk it with a fork, add salt, vinegar and pour the ice water up to the 250 ml mark (8.50 fl oz), then stir.
- Pour this mixture into the butter and flour, and place all the dough in one “hill”, but (!) you do not need to knead it, the flour should just be moistened.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal parts weighing 125-135 grams (4.40 to 4.45 oz). Wrap each part with the cling film and send them to the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200C (392F). Take the blanks out of the fridge one by one, the rest of the blanks should stay in the cold. The butter should not start melting! Roll each part into a thin layer and cut out a circle with a diameter of 3 to4 cm (1.2 to 1.6 inch) larger than necessary (for example, 20 cm | 8 inch). Prick the layers with a fork.
- Save the surplus separately and put it in the fridge, too. Or you can bake them right away, and then turn them into crumbs.
- The cakes should be baked for about 10 minutes (depends on your oven). They should become of a beautiful golden color.
- You can cover the cakes with the cream immediately after cooling.
Let’s move to the filling. One cake takes approximately 500 g (17.5o oz) of filling, including 200 g (7.05 oz) of meat. Put the rest of the ingredients at your discretion. This cake can be made with absolutely any taste!
- 200 g boiled chicken or pork | 7.05 oz
- 2 small pickles or 1 large
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- pickled mushrooms or champignons
- 1 can of olives
- greens (green onions, dill or lettuce)
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Boil the meat in the salted water and chop it finely. Chop the cucumbers, onions and mushrooms. Cut the olives into rings. Chop the greens.
- Fry the onions in vegetable oil until golden brown, add the vinegar, sugar, then whisk everything and fry a little more. Finally, add mushrooms and fry everything together.
- Mix all the ingredients with herbs and meat in one bowl and season them with mayonnaise. Add some salt and pepper to taste. That’s the filling.