Poppy & berry cupcakes
Poppy seed cupcakes with a berry center and buttery Swiss meringue topping.
Explore full recipe
- Combine the berries with the yolks, put over the heat, and warm a little,.
- Then add sugar and starch. Cook until thickened, and add butter.
- Combine the egg whites and sugar, and put in a water bath. Constantly stirring with a whisk, heat the mass to 140F (60C). By this time the sugar will completely dissolve
- Remove the whites from the bath, and start whipping with a mixer until stiff peaks.
- Without stopping to whip, add softened butter, literally a teaspoonful. Each time wait until it is completely combined, so add all the butter. The cream will be changing its texture. First it will be liquid, then it may exfoliate a little, but continue to whip, and the cream will acquire a silky texture, the whisk will leave a relief.