Divide two eggs into whites and yolks. Leave the whites for the poppy seed filling, and use the yolks in the dough.
- Melt the butter, and cool it.
- Warm the milk a little. Add the sugar and yeast, and leave for 10 minutes (foam should appear).
- Add the butter, yolks, and mix.
- At the end, add flour, salt, and knead the dough.
- Cover the dough with a towel, and leave to rise for about an 1 hour in a warm place.
Mix the poppy seeds with poppy paste, sugar, egg whites, soft butter and vanilla. * Poppy paste is poppy seeds, grated to the state of a liquid homogeneous paste.
If you have no paste, then double the amount of poppy seeds in the recipe. Pour poppy seeds with boiling water, and boil for about 5-10 minutes. Drain the remaining water. Grind the poppy seeds in a blender until smooth. Mix with sugar, whites, butter and vanillin. The finished poppy filling should be thick.
- In an hour, knead the dough manually, roll it into a rectangle (thickness 3 mm | 0.12 inch).
- Spread the filling evenly around the entire perimeter, not reaching the edges 2 cm | 0.80 inch.
- Shape the roll. Pinch the edges.
- To prevent the roll from blurring during baking, and make it retain its shape, loosely wrap a sheet of parchment around the roll.
- Loose, so between the roll and the sheet there should be a place where the roll will “grow”.
- Bake the roll at 374F (190C) for about 35 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool it, and enjoy your meal!