Pear tart with apricot jam
Julia Child's legendary pear tart: crispy, spicy and delicate!
Explore full recipe
- Combine salt, flour and baking powder; add cold butter, grind into crumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, vinegar and ice water (4 tablespoons); add to the flour mixture, and quickly knead the elastic dough. Put the dough into a bag, put in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Lightly sprinkle the work surface with flour, roll out the dough, transfer to a mold (oiled and sprinkled with flour) and form high sides, prick the bottom and sides with a fork. Cut off excess dough with a knife. Remove the form with the dough in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 392F. Remove the workpiece from the fridge, cover with a sheet of parchment on top, sprinkle beans or peas on the parchment, press gently into shape, bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Then remove the parchment with a load, and bake for another 5 minutes, remove from the oven and leave to cool in the mold. Reduce the oven temperature to 356F.
- Pour the water into a saucepan; add the lemon zest and juice, sugar. Add vanilla sugar, and bring the syrup to a boil.
- Cut the bottoms of pears, and peel them.
- Add pears and pear peels to boiling syrup, simmer for 10 minutes. The pears should be softer, but not boiled.
- Cool the pears in syrup. Then take it out and dry, strain the syrup and put it in the fridge.