orange / lemon zest
brandy / cognac
egg yolk for greasing
milk for greasing
- Rinse the candied fruits and raisins in warm water, pour the brandy (or cognac, liquor), cover, and leave for 4-6 hours.
- Dilute the yeast in 1 teaspoon of warm milk. Add the sugar, cover, and leave for 5-6 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add the eggs (at room temperature), sugar, vanilla sugar, vegetable oil, and mix well with a mixer.
- Then sift the flour with salt, add it to the dough, and start mixing with a mixer (for 5 minutes), first at low speed, and then increase the speed, and knead for another 6-8 minutes (the dough will start gathering into a ball).
- Then add the butter at room temperature, and mix well again with a mixer (for 5 minutes).
- Squeeze the candied fruits and raisins, add it all to the dough, and mix for 3-4 minutes; add the zest. Wrap the bowl with cling film, and refrigerate for 7-8 hours.
- After the specified time, take the dough out of the fridge, knead, roll into a ball, put in a mold, and leave at room temperature for 2-3 hours. The dough should rise a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 356F (180C). Mix the yolk with milk, grease the panettone, and send it to the oven.
- Bake the panettone at 356F (180C) for 20 minutes, and then reduce the temperature to 302-320F (150-160C), and bake for another 20-30 minutes (until a dry match), placing Easter cakes on the lower level of the oven (so that the top does not burn).
- Remove the finished panettone from the oven, and cool completely.