The most important thing about these cookies is the flavor! So first of all, prepare a spice blend. Grind: star anise (5%), cloves (5%), cardamom (10%), coriander (35%), cinnamon (30%), nutmeg (10%), allspice (5%). You can mix how you like or buy a ready-made blend.
- Put the sugar in a saucepan with a thick bottom and place it over low heat. After it dissolves, gently pour in the boiling water.
- One by one, add spices, honey, butter, and salt. Heat for about 5 minutes, stirring all the time until the mixture becomes homogeneous. Remove from the stove, cool to about 122°F (50°C).
- Add the egg yolks to the honey mixture and stir to combine. Sift in the flour and baking soda and knead the dough by hand or using a stationary mixer.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and leave it in the fridge for a few hours.
- Form the cookies with a mold and place them in the fridge for several hours.
Preheat the oven to 482°F (250°C), bake the cookies for 4-5 minutes, then lower the temperature to 338°F (170°C). Open the oven door for a brief time, then bake until tender, depending on the size and shape of the cookies (about 5-15 minutes).
Mix the water with the sugar, bring to a boil. Once the sugar has dissolved, cook for 1 minute on low heat. Spread the glaze on the hot cookies.