Blackcurrant marshmallows are extremely popular. To cook it you will need simple and available ingredients; and as a result you will get a bright taste and a beautiful natural color. The huge number of shape variations makes it an almost perfect dessert that will please the most fastidious sweet tooths.
The recipe is very simple. This amount of ingredients, calculated in the recipe, is enough for 7 popsicle-like pieces, 2 doubled baby-marshmallows and a jar of chocolate chips.
You will need:
- 125 g currant puree (you better take 175 g | 6.15 oz frozen berries) | 4.40 oz
- 5 g albumin (or 30 g | 1.20 oz white eggs) | 0.20 oz
- 50 g sugar (for the puree) | 1.75 oz
- 100 g water | 3.55 oz
- 200 g sugar (for the syrup) | 7.05 oz
- 6 g agar | 0.20 oz
So, the instructions are pretty simple:
- Pour the frozen currants into a container with a lid, and place it in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes. The berries will burst, and the juice will separate from them. Put the currants on a sieve and squeeze the juice with a spatula. It can be poured out or replaced with a half of the syrup water.
- Mush the berries. You can also grid the currants from the seeds, it’s up to you.
- Add the sugar and the albumin to the puree. Stir it and set aside, while you’ll be cooking the syrup.
- Mix the water with sugar and agar in a saucepan with a thick bottom. According to the recipe, you shouldn’t add any glucose or invert syrup, but you need to take it into account, that these goods help keep the marshmallow fresh longer. So, if you would like to add some, then replace 50-75 g (1.75 to 2.75 oz) of sugar in the recipe with the syrup.
- Put the syrup on the heat. Bring it to a boil, then cook the syrup for 3.5 minutes over the medium heat. Stir it.
- While the syrup is boiling, whip the puree with egg whites and sugar. The mass will brighten, increase in volume and become quite dense.
- Gently add the syrup in a thin stream into the mass, without stopping whipping. After all the syrup is poured in, keep whipping for 30 to 60 seconds. The mass should become even denser, lighter and the volume will increase even more. If you tilt the bowl with the marshmallow, the mass should not move.
- Quickly place the mass into a culinary bag with a nozzle and form beautiful marshmallows on a silicone mat, a parchment or a cling film. Leave it to stabilize for 12 to 15 hours. Then, roll the marshmallows in the powdered sugar, and keep them an airtight container.