Sponge cake (16 cm | 6.29 inches)
- Bring water to a boil.
- Combine all the dry ingredients and sift them together.
- Beat the room-temperature eggs with sugar until fluffy.
- Add the butter, flour and cocoa and mix on the lowest speed.
- Add the hot water and mix quickly.
- Pour the batter into two foil-wrapped rings.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 347F | 175C for 30-35 minutes.
- Let the cake cool, wrap it in clingfilm and leave in the fridge for 6 hours.
P.S. If you only have one ring, bake in two batches or bake in one ring for about 1 hour (it is recommended to divide the dough into two parts though).
Condensed milk caramel frosting
- Mix sugar with starch.
- Place the sour cream, eggs and vanilla in a saucepan with a thick bottom. Combine.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Cook over low heat until it comes to a boil.
- Leave to cool in another container.
- Beat the soft butter, gradually add the cream and boiled condensed milk. Combine.
Cream cheese frosting for decorating
- Beat soft butter.
- Add room temperature cream cheese and boiled condensed milk. Whisk to combine.
- Spread around the cake.
The assembly process is shown in the video recipe.