Let’s give the floor to the pastry chef: “This is a very successful improvisation of mine. Delight to the last crumb, cooked both for the loved ones and for the husband's colleagues. It turns out to be delicate, creamy and beautifully layered. It doesn’t harden for a long time. Cherries and chocolate complement it perfectly.”
The calculation is for three Easter cakes 9 cm (3.5 inch) in diameter and about 15 cm (5.9 inch) in height.
- Dissolve the yeast in warm milk with 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of flour (take it from the measured products).
- Put the leaven in a warm place to grow for 10 to 15 minutes; as soon as it bubbles well, it’s ready to use.
- Whisk the eggs with regular sugar and vanilla sugar until thick white foam.
- Melt the butter (50 g | 1.75 oz).
- Sift the flour and salt.
- Pour the leaven into the flour; add the whisked eggs, and stir.
- Next, add the butter, and start kneading the dough.
- At first it will be very sticky, but don’t add flour; knead it on the table for 10 to 15 minutes, until it starts peeling off from the surface and from hands.
- You can help yourself with a scraper; grease your hands with oil periodically.
- Form a dough lump, and grease it with some oil; place the lump in a greased bowl.
- Cover it with wrap, and put in a warm place for an hour / an hour and a half.
Easter cakes forming
- Knead well after the time passed.
- Stretch the dough into a rectangle on a greased silicone mat. Not too thin!
- Grease it with the softened butter
- Sprinkle the rectangle with candied cherries and chocolate callets.
- Fold the dough into a roll, on the short side (i.e. the roll shouldn’t turn out long and rather plump).
- Cut the roll into three pieces crosswise.
- Pinch the bottoms in each piece, so that the filling doesn’t burn during baking.
- As far as the cakes will turn out to be high, lay out the baking molds with parchment to raise the edges.
- Place the rolls in the molds with the bottom down, open cut up.
- Put the molds in a warm place for the dough to proof. Let it rise twice.
- Heat the oven to 180С (356F), and put an empty baking sheet on the very top (so that the tops of the cakes don’t burn!).
- Put the baking tray with the cakes on the lower level. Bake, using the top/bottom mode.
- The baking time is 30 minutes (until a dry skewer).
Cool the ready Easter cakes. Decorate them with the glaze.
To cook it, just whisk the egg whites with the powdered sugar. Apply the glaze on the cake.