You will also like next recipe
Napoleon with strawberry curd
Catch the reecipe for a "Napoleon" cake with an ice cream buttercream and delicious strawberry curd.
Explore full recipe
- Sift the flour, and add cold butter (cut into cubes).Then take a knife and chop the butter, mixing it with flour. When the pieces of butter are quite small, grind into small crumbs by hands.
- Prepare a glass with a volume of 250 ml (8.5 fl oz). Add the vinegar, a pinch of salt and an egg. The egg should be right from the fridge. Mix everything with a fork, and then add the ice cold water. The water should fill the glass up to full.
- Pour this liquid into a bowl with flour and butter. Quickly knead the dough into a ball. Do not try to mix everything thoroughly. The butter must not melt.
- Divide the ball into 9-10 equal parts. Put them into the fridge for 2 hours. You can cover with cling film to keep the dough moist.
- When the time passes, take out the dough. Do not take all parts at once, but only one piece at a time.
- Sprinkle the flour on the table, and roll out a round layer of dough. The thickness of the dough is approximately 2-3 mm (0.1 inch). To make the cake even, put a plate and cut out a circle. Then roll up a ball from the rest of the dough and make the final cake layer.
- Bake tha cake layers on the baking paper. The baking temperature is 190-200C (374-392F). Bake until it gets golden brown color. There are 11 cake layers in total. 10 layers are used for the cake itself, and the 11th goes for sprinkling.
Ice cream buttercream
- Mix an egg, sugar and cornstarch in a different bowl. If you don’t have cornstarch, you can use potato starch instead
- Pour milk into a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Then turn the heat low and trickle the egg mixture. Stir constantly. Cook until thickened. Make sure nothing burns.
- Add the butter and mix until completely dissolved. After that the cream should be cooled first to room temperature, and then cooled in the fridge.
- The cream is cold. Now whip the cream with the mixer at a high speed until thickened. Pour the whipped cream into the cooled prepared cream, and mix with a spatula. Not with a mixer!