This recipe will help you to cook tangerine cupcakes with a delicate citrus flavor and tangerine curd inside, decorated with fluffy crème.
The crème is very delicious, but we should warn you that it turns out to be very sweet. You may try to reduce the amount of sugar by 2 times (if it doesn’t greatly affect the structure).
The crème turns out to be very smooth, and it keeps the shape well. The edges of the crème caps are clear.
- Puree the tangerine slices with a blender, and rub the mass through a sieve to get rid of the films. You can clean the slices from the films first, and then puree the mass.
- Mix the flour and the baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Grind the sugar with butter, and add the eggs one at a time; each time mix the mass well with a whisk.
- Next, add the tangerine puree and the sour cream.
- At the end, add the sifted dry ingredients, and stir the mass thoroughly until smooth.
- Fill the molds for 2/3 with the dough, and bake it in the oven preheated to 160C (320F) for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Combine the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and tangerine juice in a saucepan. Mix them, and send to a water bath. The bottom of the saucepan shouldn’t touch the water. Bring the mass to thicken, stirring constantly.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat; add the butter, and mix thoroughly. Cover the finished curd with a film in contact, and put it in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours to stabilize.
- Combine the egg whites and sugar in a bowl, and place it in a water bath. The bottom of the bowl shouldn’t touch the water.
- The mass must be constantly stirred until the sugar crystals dissolve completely.
- How do you know if the sugar is completely dissolved? Just rub a small amount of egg whites and sugar between your fingers.
- When the mass is ready, remove it from the water bath, and pour it into a mixer bowl. Be sure to wipe the bottom of the bowl with a towel to prevent the water droplets from entering the bowl! Whip the mass at a high speed until a white dense mass for about 10 to 12 minutes. There should be clear marks from the whisk, and the mass should increase in volume by 3 times.
- Then, add the well softened butter in 2 to 3 passes, and continue whipping the crème for another 10 to 15 minutes until fluffy.
- Place the crème in the fridge for 15 minutes to stabilize, and then decorate the cupcakes.