- Put the sun-dried fruits in a bowl, and pour the warm water over it, so that it only covers the fruit. Add rum to taste. Leave it like this for 2-3 hours at room temperature.
- Throw the fruits on a sieve, and shake off the excess water. Dry the fruits using paper towels.
- Stir the candied fruits into the mixture.
- Fry the nuts in a dry frying pan; cool, and chop (not too finely).
- Remove the zest from the orange, and mix it with 1 tsp of sugar; dry at room temperature.
Dough making (step 1)
- Sift 260g (9.15 oz) of flour into the mixer bowl. Add the sugar, yeast, spices and zest; mix with the paddle attachment at a low speed.
- Change the attachment to the Hook. Heat the water to 86-90F, and pour it into the flour mixture.
- Start kneading the dough at a low speed, gradually increasing it to medium.
- When the flour is completely combined with the water, knead the dough for another 3 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with a napkin, and put it in a warm place (better in the oven at 95F for 45-50 minutes). The dough should almost double in volume.
Dough making (step 2)
- Meanwhile, cut the butter into cubes, and leave it for the same time at room temperature.
- After the time has elapsed, sift the remaining flour into the bowl with the dough, add salt, and knead for a minute at a low speed until totally combined.
- Keep kneading at a medium speed, adding the pieces of butter to the dough.
- When all the butter is mixed in, add the dried fruits, nuts and chocolate. Knead the dough for another minute. Knead manually if necessary.
- Grease the mold with a thin layer of butter, and spread the dough evenly.
- Cover it with a napkin, and leave for 25-30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 347F.
- Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes. If the top of the cake darkens quickly, cover it with foil.
- While the cake is still hot, remove it from the mold, and brush with 50g (1.75 oz) of melted butter over the entire surface.
- Sprinkle it with powdered sugar.
- Let the cake cool completely for 10-12 hours.
- Wrap the cooled with parchment, and then with a layer of foil. Leave it at room temperature for 2-5 days.
- Cover the cake with the glaze before serving, and sprinkle with the powdered sugar again.
- Mix the room temperature cream cheese with the powdered sugar until homogeneous.
- Pour in the milk (observe the required consistency), and stir again.
- Cover the Christmas cake.